The city of Pyatigorsk has many attractions. We have selected the top 10 of them.
1) Museum-Reserve M.Yu. Lermontov was created on the basis of the house where the disgraced poet spent the last months of his life, and where his body was brought after the duel. This is the first museum of the poet, which today has been given the status of a historical monument. The museum complex also includes the house of General P. Verzilin, where M.Yu. Lermontov liked to visit in the last days of his life. It is here that N.S. Martynov challenged the poet to a duel. Today, this house houses the literary section of the exposition. The museum’s collection contains a number of unique items, among which there are genuine personal items of M.Yu. Lermontov. Some pieces of furniture were brought from the poet’s apartment in St. Petersburg. All the exhibits are devoted to the stay of Mikhail Yurievich in the Caucasus and the role he played in Russian culture. A separate section of the museum is devoted to fine arts. Here you can see portraits, sculptures and illustrations for the works of M.Yu. Lermontov.
2) One of the memorable historical corners that can be seen in Pyatigorsk is the alleged site of the duel of M.Yu. Lermontov and N.S. Martynov. Here, on the northwestern slope of Mount Mashuk, a monument has been erected, which recalls the tragic event that claimed the life of a talented Russian poet. Initially, a modest obelisk stood at the supposed site of the duel, but then projects for a monument began to appear. And already at the beginning of the 20th century, a memorial to the memory of M.Yu. Lermontov, made of dolomite and having a classic shape. Every year, a civil memorial service is held here on the day of the death of the poet.
3) Park “Flower Garden” – a small cozy park. Numerous flower beds are arranged in the park, alleys of lindens, Caucasian chestnuts, maples and poplars are planted. In the park there are such sights as Diana’s grotto, Nikolaevsky baths, pavilions for recreation, the Lermontov Gallery.
Park Tsvetnik is located along Prospekt Kirov (houses 22-28).
4) Mashuk is a mountain located in the northeastern part of Pyatigorsk. It rises to 993 meters and is considered a natural monument. You can reach the top of the mountain on foot along tourist routes, drive along a car serpentine or climb by cable car. The hot mountain, having a height of 557 meters, is a spur of Mount Mashuk. On the slopes of the Hot Mountain there are karst caves, a Chinese gazebo and the sculpture “Eagle” – the visiting card of the resort town.
5) Mount Beshtau – the highest point of Beshtau 1400 meters. The mountain gave the name to the surrounding area (Pyatigorye) and the city of Pyatigorsk. From the Turkic name of the mountain is translated as five mountains (“besh” – five, “tau” – mountain).
6) Proval Lake is a natural attraction, which is located on Mount Mashuk. Pyatigorsk Proval has been popular for a long time, but the novel by Ilf and Petrov “The Twelve Chairs” added fame to it. It was here, according to the plot of the novel, that Ostap Bender sold entrance tickets, the proceeds from which allegedly went to strengthen the Failure, so that it would not fail too much. This turquoise mineral water lake is located in an underground karst cave. You can go to the lake through a 40-meter tunnel, lit by light bulbs. Also, tourists have the opportunity to climb the stone stairs and view the Failure from above, over the edge of the funnel. The entrance to the tunnel is guarded by sculptures of lions, and a bronze monument to Ostap Bender is installed nearby. The entrance to the cave is free.
7) The monument to Lermontov is located at the intersection of Sobornaya and Krasnoarmeyskaya streets. The monument was opened on August 6, 1889 in Pyatigorsk. The monument was made by the sculptor A.M. Opekushin (author of the famous monument to A.S. Pushkin in Moscow). At the bottom of the monument is the sculptor’s autograph.
8) Walking towards the Mikhailovsky spur of Mount Mashuk, you can see a beautiful rotunda, which has the romantic name “Aeolian harp”. She appeared in the recreation area in 1831 at the place where the observation post of the military used to be. A magnificent panorama of the surroundings opens from here: residential areas, sanatoriums and mineral water springs are clearly visible. Tourists visit this site both during the day and in the evening – it is beautiful here at any time of the day. M.Yu. also liked to visit these places. Lermontov: the poet repeatedly walked near the arbor “Aeolian harp” and even mentioned it in the story “Princess Mary”. Previously, harps stood here, the strings of which “played” under the breath of the wind. Today, the gazebo with graceful columns is equipped with an acoustic system that emits melodic sounds of a harp. In the evening, a beautiful backlight turns on in the gazebo.
9) Gukasov’s Coffee House – located in the Tsvetnik park, to the right of the entrance from the Bernardazzi Brothers Street. This original Art Nouveau building was built in the early 20th century for the confectioner Alexander Gukasov. On the first floor there is a private art gallery, and on the second floor there is a Tête-à-tête cafe.
10) Mineral water springs – there are more than 40 mineral water springs in Pyatigorsk. Most of them are located in the so-called resort area of the city (where sanatoriums are located). Almost all sources are accessible and free of charge. Please bring your own water bottle or bowl.